星期日, 10月 21, 2007

The Tipping Point


So many weeks have been occupied to finish this book. Yet a little bit disappointed as I can’t get the things I originally expected from it. Well, maybe it’s my problem, not the book’s. I find it quite hard to understand the case studies of the book, especially the latter part of it. I started to lose interest, found it hard to concentrate in reading it. I’ve thought about this. I guess mainly because it talks about America’s social phenomenon, which I have no tie at all, and which, to be honest, I don’t have much interest in it. So, I found it hard to digest the cases, and lacked the incentive to think deeper to understand them, and thus began to get lost to the points the author was trying to illustrate.

Hopefully, the former parts of the book were still interesting to me. I could still identify the representative points, and get the essences the author wants the readers to get. Small things can do the great changes, and in a people-oriented society of the modern world, we need “connectors”, “mavens” and “salesmen” to provoke the changes. The difference of “contagious” and “stickiness”is worth studying, and it is supposed to be easier to understand by studying the “smoking” case illustrated by the author. (But as it’s in the latter part, and as I’ve already lost my interest in reading the book, I didn’t understand the case well- once again, the American phenomenon attributed to my losing incentive and difficulty in understanding, I think.)

To buy this book is because of the significant discount, and because of the good comments from some famous/ successful figures which I read from various articles for at least 2 times. For the “buy 2 get 1 free” or “buy 3 get 1 free” sales (forget exactly) in the book fair, at the same time another similar theme book from this author was bought. Right now not that much interest to start the same kind of it again, a little bit frightening of the same bad experience. Well, I should be willing to read it, but not at this moment. Right now I want CHINESE, let me read some CHINESE! No more English! No more theoretical topics! No more western things please, especially America’s!

Maybe a novel from a Japanese writer, translated into Chinese, is what I like to read next. I get the one from my bookshelves.

沒有留言: